Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello. I live in Norway,I am still a british citizen.I am planning

Hello. I live in Norway,I am still a british citizen.I am planning on marrying a Russian woman.
I would like to do this in Colchester as I am from Colchester.What do I need of documents
to achieve this.We are both divorced.I am 64 and she is 57.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Where are you to settle permanently as man and wife following marriage?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<br />Hi, Probably in Norway.I have also an appartment in Spain so we will give a thought to that as well,But I think Norway will be the winner.<br /><br />Regards Neill.<br /><br />I would like the answer sent to   XXX@XXXXXX.XXX.<br /><br />Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi Neil

Private contact is prohibited I'm afraid. I must reply using this thread.

Can you confirm at least that once married in the UK your wife will leave the UK with you to settle somewhere else (wherever that ends up being).

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, in Norway We will only be in England for the duration of the wedding plus a few days holiday.
I work, and have my home address in Norway.My future wife will have a visa that is limited
to a certain period.Our stay in England will be only for the sole purpose of getting married.
I have lived in Norway for 40 years and intend to do in the future.

Neill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi,I live in in Norway We will only be in England for the duration of the wedding plus a few days holiday.

Neill
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

She will have to apply for a special visitor's visa for the purpose of marriage. Here is a link to the visitor's visa page of the UKBA's visa services website:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#564063682

Scan down to the section marked: Special visitors: Visitors coming to get married

The visa will be granted for a period of 6 months in which she shall be permitted to remain here in order to get married. You will also see that the link to the appropriate visa form for this and guidance notes is also available in this section.

She should submit this to the nearest UK embassy.

Please kindly click accept. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thomas,
I know the rules and regulations with regards XXXXX XXXXX periods etc.My question was "Which documents are required to get married in England for a Russian citizen and an English citizen living abroad.
Ex. Proof of divorce from previouse husband/wife etc.Aplication for marriage license from registrar etc.

Neill
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Neil,

Page ten of the application form itself lists a number of documents that you must submit. There is no exhaustive list that you should submit, since each case is different and your particular details may mean that you need to submit documentary evidence to prove a particular part of the form.

She will though have to submit:-

1. Her passport.

2. Evidence of her leave to remain in the country from which the application is made (eg. Norway if it is to be Norway)

3. Documentary evidence of how you are to pay for the trip, so bank statements from the previous year for you both showing the funds available to you both during your stay evidencing the fact that you will not require access to public funds during your stay.

4. Criminal records if she has committed a crime

5. Evidence of her continuing obligations where she is living (or to live following marriage). For example, evidence of continuing employment (eg. contract of employment, letter from her employer), accommodation (tenancy agreement, land title deeds) and responsibilities

5. Divorced decree if she has been married before

6. Evidence that she intends to leave the UK after marriage, flight tickets or onward travel information

7. Statements from you both confirming your plans to marry, full details, and your plans following marriage (ie. that you are to become resident in some other country to settle

8. Evidence that you are in fact to get married (booking of a venue for marriage, correspondence between you, evidence of invitations to the wedding.

I trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor