How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PortsmouthLaw Your Own Question
PortsmouthLaw, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 255
Experience:  I have been a Solicitor since 1981 with experience in property, landlord & tenant & wills & probate
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
PortsmouthLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I bought a rental property in July 2008 for 70000.

Resolved Question:

My wife and I bought a rental property in July 2008 for £70000. We spent some monies doing it up but have no receipts to prove this. We separated in 2009. I have to fill in a financial resources form for the divorce and am unsure of the Capital Gains Tax that would be due from the sale of the property if the value were £95k. Can you advise?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  PortsmouthLaw replied 6 years ago.

PortsmouthLaw :

Hi There was a time when you could set the cost of capital improvements against your liability to Capital Gains Tax, but no longer. You bought for £70,000, add to this the cost of acquiring the property such as surveyors and solicitors fees. You then have the base value. (say £72,000). If you sell for £95,000, deduct the cost of selling such as estate agents and solicitors fees to give the net sale proceeds (say £92,000) . The gross gain is thus £20,000 (92k-72k). Deduct your individual CGT allowances of £10,100 (?) each and there would in these circumstances be no tax to pay.

PortsmouthLaw :

Hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" but do come back for more if you need to

PortsmouthLaw and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions