Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i was born in England. i have canadian citizen and have lived

i was born in England. i have canadian citizen and have lived in canada all my life. what do i have to do to get a dual citizenship for my children and myself. my children were born in Canada. i do not hold a british passport, we all have canadian passports. i however do have my birth certificate. i did have a british passport when I as 1 yr old. I do not have that passport on hand anymore. what forms do I need to fill out and where do I send them?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi

What is your date of birth?

What nationality were your parents and were they that nationality by birth?

Tom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My dob is Sept 19 1967. My dad was a british citizen who immigrated from India and my mom has India citizenship
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I've been a while to reply.

Can you just confirm where you were actually born?

This shall enable me to answer.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hello

i was born in on September 19 1967 in Wolverhampton, West mindland, engalnd. thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Your situation is very simple; you are a British Citizen otherwise than by descent because you were born in the UK before 1983. This means that you UK citizenship can pass to any of your children born outside the UK.

They no longer issue British passports at the High Commission in Ottawa, you will have to contact the Regional Passport Processing Centre in Washington:-

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

You will have to arrange your new passport through them. INformation and guidance on applying from Canada in detail here:-

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/canada

This should enable you to obtain your UK passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are you able to tell me what is the form numbers i need from the web site you have sent.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe the form you will be required to complete is Form C1 which is available for download on the second of the above links I suggested. There are also some guidance notes that should help you.

I trust this clarifies. If so please click accept.

Tom