Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

As a illegal immigrant, is it possibe to marry a british citizen

As a illegal immigrant, is it possibe to marry a british citizen and register the marriage?
If permission to marry is required, how to apply for it? The goal being naturalisation, what are the steps required, and how much of a chance there is for success, and what is the timescale for permission application and main application?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try and help with this.

Your difficulty is registering the marriage. To do so you will have to provide evidence of your right to register the marriage. As an illegal immigrant you can certainly marry in a religion ceremony but you will not be able to register the marriage. Unfortunately your rights are very limited.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But i have been told by solicitors who will charge me for this, that i can get a permission to marry, which will around a months time adter the application. Basically they told me the permission is something that us new, guaranteed and is a service provided by the homeoffice specifically for people who are not by default eligible to marry. The process involves asking for permission, waiting for permission, and then recieving permission, and then registering the marriage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert seem not aware of something relating to the matter