Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

can you advice me i have a house on mortgage with my father

can you advice me:

i have a house on mortgage with my father ( joint mortgage). i was wondering is there any way to gift my part of the house to him, so he would be a sole owner. what is the procedure, if we have a fix mortgage for another 1.5 years. thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You need the consent of the mortgage company to do that, they will have a first legal charge which prohibits dispositions (ie. transfer of title) without their consent I'm afraid.

In effect they would probably require your father to be able to demonstrate sufficient funds to receive a mortgage offer in his sole name. Your mortgage company should be the first port of call in this regard. Explain what you wish to do and they will advise you of their requirements so that you can start the process. They may be able to do it mostly in house.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.