Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

where can i get a legal capacity to marry ij philippines f

where can i get a legal capacity to marry ij philippines from
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Are you asking how to get marries in the Philippines?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes im getting married in the philippines in may this year and sumebody from the marriage department there says i need a legal capacity to marry letter from england and i dont know where to get this from i asked an agency who are dealing with her visa and they said they didnt know what i meant but them in philippines are adamant i need it thanks D cocker
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Do they mean a Certificate of Impediment to Marriage?

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi tom that maybe it i know i need a death certificate they might call it diffrent over in philippinnes all i know is what they told me thanks David
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Good morning David.

Thanks for your reply.

You will need a certificate of no impediment to marriage from your local registry office before you are able to marry. You can see from this page on the Filipino embassy's web page that this is the case (look 3/4 of the page down at the question -

Q. I am a foreign national and I intend to marry a Filipino national in the Philippines. What should I do?):-

http://philembassy-uk.org/FAQa.html#210

You will have to make an appointment, attend with your passport, proof of address and if you have been married before the death certificate for your wife.

Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. The said certificate is needed for his application for a marriage license at the registry office of the locality/church where the marriage is to take place.Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. The said certificate is needed for his application for a marriage license at the registry office of the locality/church where the marriage is to take place.

Once you have this you and have traveled to the Philippines it seems you will have to attend the UK embassy there and present this in order to obtain a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. In turn this should then be used in an application for a marriage licence at the registry office where you are to actually marry. A bit of forward planning will be required here and perhaps your wife can make enquiries directly if she is presently in the Philippines.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom