Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I am currently going through a divorce process. I have

Hi, I am currently going through a divorce process. I have two homes both owned jointly with my wife. She is currently living in one and I am living in the another. I would like to sell all the assets we own including both homes. Can I sell both properties on the open market or do I have to offer my share to my wife first.

Hi

You can't do that I'm afraid. If you and your wife are jointly named as registered propreitors (ie. owners) of the properties then both parties signature would need to be secured on the contract for sale and on the Land Registry Transfer form in order to convey the property.

This would be the case unless there was a court order to the contrary. As you are divorcing though you will have to come to a settlement over the matrimonial assets. Once you agree what should happen to the properties and/or a consent order at Court has been obtained then you can sell the properties in accordance with what you have been able to agree with your wife.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answers my question. I pay a monthly fee to Just Amswer which means that I do not have to pay for specific advice. I have asked but still don't know how to deal with the process so I haven't pressed the accept answer button.

Hi

I think all of the money you pay for the monthly service stays with JA unless you click accept to my answer, if you click accept I understand a portion of that money is transferred to me.

If you do not click accept I get nothing so I would be grateful if you would.

Kind regards,

Tom