Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If a Russian citizen wished to travel to the UK on a visitors

If a Russian citizen wished to travel to the UK on a visitors visa to stay with a private resident of the UK at their address for 28 days how much in funds to support themselves would they be expected to bring with them.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Very unhelpfully there is no fixed amount that the UKBA advise is the sufficient level.

What funds do they have available and if their private resident to make a sponsorship declaration to submit with the application.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom,
The UK resident, myself, has not made a sponsorship declaration up to date would this be helpful. Funds available so far are £1800.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

That sum of money should be sufficient for their purposes provided they can show with documentary evidence that the stay is not intended to be longer than 28 days. They would demonstrate this by submitting evidence of their continuing obligation back in Russia, something like a letter from their employer stating that they are still employed and expected back in employment following their visit. Another example would be a tenancy agreement on which they are named and continues after their visit.

A sponsorship declaration by you would help hugely. This is a document that you swear in front of a solicitor and is usually prepared by a solicitor. It would describe who you are, who the visitor is, the length and nature of the visit, that you have accommodation at which he shall stay free of charge and that you declare that you will cover the costs of any unforeseen expenses during their period of stay.

The declaration should then be sent to the applicant who should refer to it in their application and submit it with their supporting documents (eg. bank statements, evidence of return flight etc).

The declaration should cost around £50+Vat for a solicitor to draft and swear. With this and those level of funds in their account verified by bank statements they should be successful in their application.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor