How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a british citizen, I was born and have lived in England

Resolved Question:

I am a british citizen, I was born and have lived in England all my life. On the 14th February i am going to the Philippines for 2 weeks and hope to marry my girlfriend who is a filipino. We have been talking daily on line for about 9 months. Can i ask what problems i will encounter, and if it will be possible to do.

many Thanks

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Do you plan on returning to the UK with your wife to settle here?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom


Eventually i would like her to settle here with me. I have full time employment and earn a pretty good wage as a Railway Manager. I was hoping that when i get there we could just go and be married, but maybe i have made a mistake. If my intended can not return with me after my 2 week stay, we will persue her to follow on as soon as is possible



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



The Philippines Embassy website confirms the following requirements for visiting:-

Q. What are the requirements for entry into the Philippines?

a. entry visa (Note: British, Irish and Icelandic nationals can enter the Philippines
without visa if their intended stay will not exceed 21 days)
b. passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond the intended period of stay in the Philippines
c. return ticket
d. proof of financial capability to finance stay in the Philippines


However, you should call the Embassy and inform them that you plain on marrying there. They may or may not require you to obtain a fiance visa, there website does not inform on this point. Additionally, some countries require you to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to marriage before marrying and you will have to ask about this as well.


In order for you to bring your spouses here to settle -permanently she will have to apply for a spouses visa. The criteria for this is as follows with bracketed suggestion of supporting documents that you should submit with the application:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
    • 1. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
    • 2. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
    • 3. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
    • 4. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
    • 5. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

    You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.

Your wife will also have to pass and english language test to prove she has a very basic level of written and spoken english, she can contact the UK embassy in the Philippines to obtain details of approved test providers in her area.


You can find UK immigration solicitor to prepare the application for you using


It would cost around £800-1000+VAT for the solicitor to prepare the application. Once submitted the UKBA aims to reach a decision on all applications within 6-8 weeks of receipt, but I'm afraid that they frequently overrun.


If successful she will be granted a visa for two years, after which time she can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK and for UK citizenship 12 months after that.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor