Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a british citizen, I was born and have lived in England

I am a british citizen, I was born and have lived in England all my life. On the 14th February i am going to the Philippines for 2 weeks and hope to marry my girlfriend who is a filipino. We have been talking daily on line for about 9 months. Can i ask what problems i will encounter, and if it will be possible to do.

many Thanks

Mark
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you plan on returning to the UK with your wife to settle here?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom

Eventually i would like her to settle here with me. I have full time employment and earn a pretty good wage as a Railway Manager. I was hoping that when i get there we could just go and be married, but maybe i have made a mistake. If my intended can not return with me after my 2 week stay, we will persue her to follow on as soon as is possible

Mark

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Mark,

The Philippines Embassy website confirms the following requirements for visiting:-

Q. What are the requirements for entry into the Philippines?

a. entry visa (Note: British, Irish and Icelandic nationals can enter the Philippines
without visa if their intended stay will not exceed 21 days)
b. passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond the intended period of stay in the Philippines
c. return ticket
d. proof of financial capability to finance stay in the Philippines

However, you should call the Embassy and inform them that you plain on marrying there. They may or may not require you to obtain a fiance visa, there website does not inform on this point. Additionally, some countries require you to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to marriage before marrying and you will have to ask about this as well.

In order for you to bring your spouses here to settle -permanently she will have to apply for a spouses visa. The criteria for this is as follows with bracketed suggestion of supporting documents that you should submit with the application:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
    • 1. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
    • 2. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
    • 3. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
    • 4. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
    • 5. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.

Your wife will also have to pass and english language test to prove she has a very basic level of written and spoken english, she can contact the UK embassy in the Philippines to obtain details of approved test providers in her area.

You can find UK immigration solicitor to prepare the application for you using

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

It would cost around £800-1000+VAT for the solicitor to prepare the application. Once submitted the UKBA aims to reach a decision on all applications within 6-8 weeks of receipt, but I'm afraid that they frequently overrun.

If successful she will be granted a visa for two years, after which time she can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK and for UK citizenship 12 months after that.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor