Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Pls can you advise if my partner makes an application for a

Pls can you advise if my partner makes an application for a divorce either here in the Uk or in Singapore - then legally would i be informed that this acion has been taken? Or am i only informed when he actually files for divorce?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When your partner files a divorce petition in a UK Court it is issued by the Court and then a copy of it is sent to you with an acknowldgement of service form. The divorce will not proceed unless you acknowledge the petition or the petitioner arranges service upon you (usually by way of a process server) or convinces the judge that you have been properly served the petition or to dispense with service altogether (this only really happens when it is shown that it is impossible to serve you - very rare).

You would have to check with a Singaporean lawyer as to their divorce process, but I should think it unlikely that it would proceed without a similar kind of process to the above.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,