Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I was born in England but now live in Jamaica, I am a British

Customer Question

I was born in England but now live in Jamaica, I am a British citizen. My son was born in Jamaica in 1986, can he obtain a British passport? If so, what documents, if any, other than those required on the passport form will he have to submit to the British High Commission in Jamaica, and what do we need to prove?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What passport do you hold?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a British passport.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi.

In that case he will be eligible to be registered as a UK citizen and obtain a British passport. Because he was born outside the UK but to a British Citizen born in the UK he will be what is called a British citizen by descent. This means that he cannot pass on his citizenship to any of his children born outside the UK.

You should contact the British Embassy in Jamaica and request the appropriate passport forms and any associated guidance notes. These documents will explain what supporting evidence he will need to attach to his application in order to receive his UK passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Apart from the regular associated documents required to be sent with the passport form will any other documentary evidence be necessary such as school records? Will an interview be required? If so, why? What will I need to prove to them?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

It's not really the same as applying for a visa where there is complicated eligibility criteria- it is a question of fact. You have to prove you were born in the UK (passport and birth certificate) and then he has to prove that he is your son and was born outside the UK (eg. by his birth certificate).

An interview is not usually necessary if the above is proved.

If they reject the application then you could appeal and submit further evidence, but, as I say, provided you have the above you will be fine.