Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am close to divorce and my lawyer is not doing a good job.

I am close to divorce and my lawyer is not doing a good job. Being the petitioner would I have to re-file papers if I appointed a more diligent individual
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Are you asking whether you would have to refile the petition if you changed solicitors?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

that is exactly my question. My solicitor has a heavy case load and probably can see more fee opportunities in some of the others.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

No there would be no requirement to issue the divorce petition again. That simply stands as is and the divorce and proceed from the precise point at which you are now.

Your current solicitor would require that there fees are paid before releasing your file to your new solicitor though, they have a lien on it until their fees are settled. Of course, you are free to dispute those fees after you have settled their account though.

Your new solicitor would simply send a Notice of Acting to the Court and to your wife's solicitors and then proceed accordingly.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,