Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Can I take a solictor o a redundancy consultation meeting

Customer Question

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question. Please don't forget to press Accept once you get my answer. For now please let me know:

1. Is there any particular reason you want a solicitor present?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The situation is that I am an employed as an assistant manager for a catering firm. My colleague is also an assistant manager. Our unit does not fit the structure that the parent company would like. One of the franchises is closing and therefore they only need one assistant manager. My issue is that my superoors knew that this would be happening, yet moved my colleague from her store manager position to an assistant manager position and therefore have now put my position'at risk'.

We had a business review meeting on 13/01/11 and withing 10 mins I had to have a consultation meeting. During this meeting i was informed that I would be having a competency based interview on 17/01/11 and then 2nd consult the following day.

Can proceedings be so fast?

I have spoken to my dad who is a businessman and he suggested taking a solicitor in with me for 2nd consult.

Also, my immediate boss has know about this for some time and he will be holding the interview. I get on fine with him...but how can he be impartial? he is on a final written warning for failure to manage the unit effectively...can I object to him holding the interview

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately you do not have the legal right to be accompanied by a solicitor at the consultation meeting. In fact you do not have the right to be accompanied at all and this right only arises in the final consultation meeting at which you can actually be dismissed. It is nevertheless good practice to allow you to be accompanied by a colleague or trade union representative. But if you request to be accompanied by a solicitor your employer could refuse that and you won't be able to do anything about it I'm afraid.

I hope this helps. Please press the ACCEPT button. You would still be free to ask any follow up questions for free. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As far as I am aware Tuesda will be the final consult. I will know on this day if I am to be made can i take a solicitor to this
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
No - you only have the legal right to be accompanied by a trade union representative or a fellow colleague