How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i want to know where i stand with my house me and my partner

This answer was rated:

hi i want to know where i stand with my house me and my partner are splitting up and i want to sell the house and split the proffits but she wont now as the house is in my name do i have the right to sell the house without it going to court



Is the property registered in your sole name?


Why are you splitting the profits, has she contributed to the mortgage or financing of the purchase? If so is there a declaration of trust?


Why would she not agree to a sale?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the property is in my name only and she just does not want to lose it she does contribute a bit towards the bills but not a great deal

Presuming she does not pay more in household expenses and rent than she otherwise would in private rented accommodation, why do you consider that a split of the equity is fair then?


Why do you think she is entitled to any of the equity at all?


Do you have any children from your relationship?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont think its fair but i dont want to see her with nothing im not like that i would rather we could walk away with something but my question is can i sell the house she says i have no right to

That's very admirable I must say, most unlike the usual form of questions on here.


If the house is in your sole name and she has only been occupying it informally with no strict rental obligations/tenancy agreement set up then she is occupying under a licence to occupy.


If she is still in the property then it will be difficult to sell because you will have to disclose her occupation to the purchaser on the property information forms. They will also that she signs the sale contract. If she does not then they will probably not exchange contracts in the sale.


You can evict her by giving her written notice of evictions, referring to her, you, the property, that she has been occupying under an informal licence and that you are giving her reasonable notice to vacate - this should be about two months from the date of the notice. State that there Send it by registered post.


If she does not vacate after the notice period has expired then you would have to apply for an order for possession from Court. Once granted, you could then apply to Court for a warrant for execution so that the court bailiffs effect evictions. You would then be free to sell the house with vacant possession.


In order for her to claim an interest in the property she would have to make an application to court on the basis that she has made mortgage repayments over and above rent, contributed to the financing of the purchase of it, or spent considerable money on improving the property. This would be quite an expensive application for her to make.


You should consider getting a solicitor to write a letter to her outlining the position and her options, making her aware than in theory she is not entitled to any equity in the property. If you suspect that she may sign a sale contract then not actually move out on completion then I would go with the route of eviction. Not being able to complete would be expensive for you.


My answer assumes no children.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor