Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My boyfriend moved in with me about a year ago. I own my fairly

My boyfriend moved in with me about a year ago. I own my fairly modest home outright and have no debt. My partner has significant debt and I am concerned that I could be held accountable for this in the event that he lost his job or was otherwise unable to pay. Is this so? I have 2 children, in the event of my dealth who would inherit? I do not currently have a will?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Provided the house is in your sole name and he has not acquired any interest in it by financing the purchase of the property, improvements to it or has not paid significantly more in rent to mortgage repayments (if any - I note "outright") than he otherwise would have in privately rented accommodation then his creditors would not be able to claim against the property.

If it is registered in your sole name then it is your asset and they could not enforce an y judgment for his debt against it unless they establish an equitable interest in it in the above ways.

Your estate would presently pass under the intestacy rules. If you do not have a husband it would pass to your children upon their reaching 18 years of age. Until then it would be placed in trust for them and overseen by their guardian. For this reason you should make a Will stating who is to be executor of your estate (& trustee of the estate following death before the children are 18) and who is to be the legal guardian of the children following your death.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom