Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

how can i remove a beneficary from my will as i am unable to

how can i remove a beneficary from my will as i am unable to see my solicitor at present.i have a copy of my will.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

How long is it until you are able to see your solicitor?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
four weeks as he is away and i dont want to see another lawyer.i am unable to drive myself anyway.my only relative is my sister and she is also away.this is the reason for asking for your help.my telephone number is XXXXX i will be here for some weeks now,untill my sister returns,so you contact me anytime if necessary,or leave a message on answerphone.please.kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX happy new year,susie.P.S.I CHECK MY E-MAILS DAILY.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Private contact is prohibited between customers and experts I'm afraid.

Small amendments to will may be made by executing a codicil document. This is probably what would be required in your case and you would need a solicitor to do it for you.

If you cannot wait until your solicitor returns then you should consider going to an alternative one to give effect to your wishes in a codicil. If for whatever reason you really do not wish to do so then you could execute a do-it-yourself will that are available for purchase from high street retailers if you a confident that you can incorporate your wishes appropriately. You could then ask your solicitor to check it for you upon their return.I would caution though that the only way to guarantee your wishes is to use a solicitor.

There is no easy way around it. You either need to execute a codicil to your existing will by using a solicitor or execute a DIY will (carefully) as an interim measure.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi tom,i live in a very remote area and there are no shops selling these will forms.can/t i write something like a codacil removing this beneficiary,who is someone i do not wish to receive legacy stated in my current will .this person is alive and only a friend-not a relative.this person is now not worthy of my legacy,which was a sum of money.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

There are precedent codicils available for download online. Google "codicil download" and some results will be provided. Removal of a legacy is fairly straight forward so you could do it this way as an interim measure and then ask your solicitor to check it for you.

Clickdocs are fairly good':-

http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/codicils.htm?gclid=CMTKucHnnqYCFQ1O4Qod00_DZw

You should only do this if you really cannot bring yourself to see another solicitor though. You must make sure it is executed properly and the provided should have guidance notes on this.

Hope this helps, if so please click accept.

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i would like you to give me the precise legal wording when removing a beneficiary by way of a codacil.eg do i have to say that i XXXXX XXXXX wish to revoke any monies etc.the website you suggested did not give a written example.thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi

It would follow this format:-

I (INSERT YOUR NAME) of [INSERT ADDRESS] DECLARE this to be a FIRST CODICIL to my Will dated and made the [INSERT DATE].

• 1. I REVOKE the legacy given by Clause INSERT of my said will as to [INSERT DETAILS OF LEGACY - ie. sum of money to X beneficiary]
  • 2. in all other respects I confirm my said Will.

IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this day of 2011

SIGNED by the above named ) [INSERT YOUR SIGNATURE]

INSERT YOUR NAME )

as a first Codicil to her Will )

dated the [insert date] )

in our presence and )

and then by us in our joint )

Presence and in hers )

First Witness Second Witness

Signature .................................. Signature ..............................

Name ................................. Name ..............................

Address ................................. Address ..............................

................................. ..............................

Occupation ................................. Occupation ..............................

--------------------------------------------------

Hope this assists, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i still want to know exact legal wording to add my codacil.i did ask you for this last night,but have not received your reply.regards ,susie
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi Susie

The format is as above listed, you should be able to insert the relevant details from your original will where necessary. I cannot give you the specific wording because I do not have sight of the Will and the clause dealing with the legacy itself

In the part about the legacy in the format above listed "[INSERT DETAILS OF LEGACY - ie. sum of money to X beneficiary" You should write

"as to £;[INSERT SUM OF MONEY in numbers and figures OR x% OF ESTATE AS APPROPRIATE] to XXXXX XXXXX of [INSERT ADDRESS"

The legacy will then be revoked after you have executed the codicil and had it witnessed and the sum of money previously passing under the legacy will then form part of your residuary estate and pass accordingly.

Does this clarify for you? I can't be anymore specific without having sight of the WIll I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Tom