Simon
Simon, Solicitor
Experience:  I'm a solicitor specialising in criminal defence work. I have been in private practice for 5 years.
26997103

What is my quickest way to find out if a new law came through

Customer Question

What is my quickest way to find out if a "new law" came through the house of commons or some would be authority, like a hospital trust or similar.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Simon replied 3 years ago.

Simon :

Hi. Can you tell what law you're referring to and I'll confirm for you. Regards, Simon

Customer :

Hi Simon. As of yesterday, my mom who's in a nursing home. Has "by law" new high bed side

Customer :

buffers installed. So can't see anything other than the ceiling. :-( Frank

Customer :

10:30 AM

Simon :

Ah, I see. There are three bits of legislation providing general guidance for all health and safety issues - mainly for use in places of work but caselaw suggests that users of services, i.e. individuals in nursing homes, fall under 'at work'. s.3 of the Health and Safety at Work 1974 provides general health and safety guidance as do the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The Act is statute, formed through parliament etc. The regs are generated by government body, in this case HSE. What this sounds like to me is the management being conscious of a potential liability risk, i.e. no rails, or low bed rails, patient falls from the bed and injures themselves, they find themselves liable for breach of health and safety etc. If it's part of a larger group of homes it's more than possible they've had such a situation and are now looking to ensure it doesn't happen again. I'd discuss it with the senior management and see what they have to say as it sounds far from perfect at present. Addressing your specific query, you can visit the Officer of Public Sector Information website which publishes all statutes enacted by year - if it's there, you know it's been through parliament etc. For regs, you need to look at the various agencies websites, in this case Health and Safety Executive. Hope that assists, but feel free to ask follow questions by all means. Regards, Simon

Customer :

Thank you Simon. I have been busing myself around my home, hence the delays. I need to tread carefully as I'm in constant conflict with the local hospital PTC. I'm in a position where I need the backing of the news media. Who the PCT are afraid of. Otherwise, as they say, "they can do anything they like". So I need to asses our situation before I say very much. Frank Beesley/

Simon, Solicitor
Experience: I'm a solicitor specialising in criminal defence work. I have been in private practice for 5 years.
Expert:  Simon replied 3 years ago.

No problem - best of luck with it.

Regards

Simon