How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7032
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have been married for 29 years.My husband recently had an

Resolved Question:

We have been married for 29 years.My husband recently had an affair. He has finished it and we are trying to mend the marriage. Presently the house is in both our names. As a security he has said that I should have the house in my name only to assure me that I will be ok financially should we split up at any time in the future. We still have a large mortgage which my husband pays. I do charity work and he would like me to continue to do so. Is it possible to have the house solely in my name with him paying the mortgage? If so would this be binding if at any point we split and I am not working - can he at a later date claim part of the house?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Do you have any children? If so please state their ages.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom. Yes we have 2. Ages 27 and 19.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



You must have the lenders consent in order to transfer the registered title to the property. The lender will not allow this unless you are able to receive a mortgage offer in your sole name. You would then also be personally and solely liable for the mortgage repayments.


In view of the length of your marriage in the event of divorce there would be a presumption that each person take 50% of the matrimonial assets (including the house regardless of who is listed on the registered title of it).


If it appears as if you might divorce then you should see a local family solicitor generally about instructing them to act in you divorce to secure the financial settlement but initially about entering a home rights notice (if the property is still in his name) on the title. This will denote your right of occupation to the property to any would be purchasers your husband would seek to sell to.


Whilst the property is in his sole name he could in theory sell it because his signature only is required on the land registry transfer, though he should obviously disclose to a buyer that you are also occupying the property and their solicitor would ask that you sign the contract - he could in theory lie and say you did not live there, for this reason you might consider applying for home rights notice to be entered now. A local solicitor would be able to do this for you for around £100.00 + VAT.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7032
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: