Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a citizen who lives and works in the UK. My wife is canadian

I am a citizen who lives and works in the UK. My wife is canadian and lives and works in Canada. She would like to come to the UK from Jan - April 2011 to stay with me. The question is: she would like to work during this time. Is this possible on a short term visa or would we need to proceed with an immigration application.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Working (either paid or unpaid) is prohibited under the terms of a visitor's visa I'm afraid, they are very strict about that and it may affect any future visa application she makes if she breaches the visa by working.

Spouses who obtain a spouse visa are permitted to work under the terms of that visa but it is a a pre-requisite that she intends to settle here permanently I'm afraid.

If she were eligible to apply for a Tier 1 Highly Skilled workers visa under one of those categories then she could make an application in that way but the application must be very throughly prepared and from the point of submission it generally takes about 8 weeks for them to reach a decision (& usually longer).

In view of the short length of time before she intends to depart I'm afraid he only option is a visitor's visa (without working)

Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom