Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My wife and I are having difficulties and last night we had

My wife and I are having difficulties and last night we had a big arguement which ended up with my wifmetel. Can my wife stop me from returning to our hoe threatening to ring the police if I did not leave the house. I stayed the night in a ho
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I believe you only half finished you final sentence.

Do you own your home? If so who is named on the registered title?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Stayed the night in a hotel

House is in joint names of my wife and myself

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If the house is in joint names then she cannot deny you access to the property unless there is a Court Order to the contrary made pursuant to criminal or civil proceedings. UNles this is the case you are able to return to your home, but yo u should obviously consider the best practical way to achieve in order to avoid your wife making things more complicated by going to the police and making allegations which could end up resulting in you not being permitted to return to the property.

You should print off Land Registry Official Copies of your property in order to prove to police/anyone else that you have an interest in the property:-

If you own your house as joint tenants then upon the death of the first to die that person's interest in the property would pass automatically to the other. If you do not want this to happen and would instead prefer that your interest should pass according to your Will/intestacy rules if no will then you should consider severing the joint tenancy.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,