Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Ive recently had my British Passport renewed, but have just

I've recently had my British Passport renewed, but have just noticed the following:
Date of issue: 21 OCT/OCT 10           ... that's OK

Date of Expiry21 JUL/JUILLET 21           Why this month and year?

Is this an error and should I send it back to the British high Commission in Canberra who processed it? Renewal was for 10 years.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

That's quite odd.

The Home Office Identity and Passport Service are not perfect just like any other institution and they can make mistakes. The above is a mistake I believe. I would be slightly surprised if it prejudiced you when you were going through customs, perhaps they would take more time to examine the passport in detail - they are pretty high tech these days and verifying the passport will not be difficult.

That said, it is a mistake and I would go back to them initially writing to them and enclosing a copy of the passport and referring to your original application. Ask them to explain the renewal date or to ask you to give them your passport in order for a further amended passport to be issued.

If this is useful please click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,