Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

What happens when someone makes out a will and the benafactor

Customer Question

What happens when someone makes out a will and the benafactor is the bank?

And can I put a claim on this money as they are historicaly members of my family that made out these wills
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Has the bank been named as the beneficiary of the estate? ie. the person who is to inherit all of the estate after any legacies.

Who has been named as executor in the Will?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is Barclays Bank
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I am very sorry, that previous post was intended as an information request. I must have clicked the wrong button.

If you are not satisfied with my answer please say and I shall request your money is refunded.

Please specify if the bank is named as executor or beneficiary or both.

Has the estate been administered, if so please state when.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 Wills were made by 2 sisters, they both bequeathed their estate to Barclays Bank, does the bank just hold the money (£3k time), or is it just soaked into their system and never to be seen again!!!
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If the bank is a beneficiary then the estate should be administered in accordance of the Will, which means that the deceased's assets would be collected in and then transferred to the bank once IHT has been accounted for and a grant of probate obtained.

If relative of one of the deceased wishes to dispute a will by claiming that the deceased should have made provision for them in their will due their being financially dependent to some extent on the deceased then they would do so under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975. The problem is that the application must be issued at Court within 6 months of the date of probate being granted.

Kind regards,