Andrew D.P. Scott
Andrew D.P. Scott, Barrister
Experience:  LLB(Hons) 1st Class, Gray's Inn Master Bedingfield Scholar, BVC Very Competent, Public Access Rights

Hello, I received a call yesterday from a police station

I received a call yesterday from a police station in Birmingham following up a complaint made by a member of the public. They asked if I was at a Party in Birmingham on the 9th October and when I could get up to Birmingham (I live in London) to be interviewed. When I asked they said it was involving an innocent with myself and an Mr Ainslie.

I’m aware that an allegation was made by a neighbour of the girl who hosted the party that Mr Ainslie and I committed a sexual act in the street in the early hours whilst waiting for a taxi. Mr Ainslie and I did leave the party together and wait for a taxi, after both having a lot to drink. We've known each other for some time, strictly plutonic friendship but we did kiss that night but only as a result of drunken foolery and we both went home separately. Both of us have any memory of this event. I do remember a neighbour complaining about the noise whilst we where waiting for the cab and complaining about the disruption. Mr Ainslie and I had already left the party by that point and was waiting for our cab to take us back into town.

I’m obviously very concerned about the allegations but have no idea how to proceed. Should I arrange a visit to Birmingham to be interviewed? Should I take legal representation? I don’t really understand what I’m being charged with or the severity of it.

How would you recommend I proceed?

Many thanks,
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Andrew D.P. Scott replied 3 years ago.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

Hello, I am pleased to be asked to assist you.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

are you ready for your question to be answered

Customer:

Yes thanks

Andrew D.P. Scott :

ok.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

only go to any interview with legal representation

Andrew D.P. Scott :

going without representation is a common mistake made by many

Andrew D.P. Scott :

ask for the request to attend interview to be sent in writing

Andrew D.P. Scott :

just in case its a hoax

Andrew D.P. Scott :

commiting an act of gross indecency in public is a criminal offence

Andrew D.P. Scott :

any criminal conviction can affect your future prospects for work and in society in general

Andrew D.P. Scott :

have you any other questions on this matter

Andrew D.P. Scott :

you should seek advice for representation from a solicitor immediately , see of you are entitled to legal aid

Customer:

Thanks for the advise. Do you recommend that I source my own legal representation, or do the police offer someone when I attend the interview?

Andrew D.P. Scott :

if you go to the police station you will pick up a duty solicitor. you should pick and chose your own before respnding to the poice

Andrew D.P. Scott :

police

Andrew D.P. Scott :

i beleive i have answered your question

Andrew D.P. Scott :

please press the accept button and complete the feedback , thanks

Andrew D.P. Scott :

is there anything else on this toppic you wish to discuss

Andrew D.P. Scott, Barrister
Experience: LLB(Hons) 1st Class, Gray's Inn Master Bedingfield Scholar, BVC Very Competent, Public Access Rights