Andrew D.P. Scott
Andrew D.P. Scott, Barrister
Experience:  LLB(Hons) 1st Class, Gray's Inn Master Bedingfield Scholar, BVC Very Competent, Public Access Rights
51353973

is it possible to take out a civil action against the protesters

is it possible to take out a civil action against the "protesters" that burnt a poppy during the 2 minutes silence on armistice day, with the aim that many others will do the same and therefore start a "class action" together? If so what information would be required and how do you get started. Also an idea of cost?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Andrew D.P. Scott replied 3 years ago.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

Hello, I am pleased to be asked to assist you.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

are you ready to enter chat?

Andrew D.P. Scott :

there are no civil remedies

Andrew D.P. Scott :

the police should be close by and can invoke there powers to prevent a breach of the peace

Andrew D.P. Scott :

secondly it would be open to a local superintendent to issue a dispersal order to prevent the presence of such persons over s certain limited period

Andrew D.P. Scott :

this is not a class action case

Andrew D.P. Scott :

the organisation that owns the land on which the ceremony takes place could force the perpetrators off the premises

Andrew D.P. Scott :

seeking an injunction would cost a few thousand pounds, relying on the pollice costs nothing

Customer:

as it was a public pavement that it took place on and the police did nothing and yet the act itself has obviously upset many many people across the country, there must be some way the perpretrators can be made to pay for it, if it was the other way around British people would be accused of inciting racial or religious hatred.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

Wearing a red poppy is nothing to do with race it is in solemn remembrance of this that served and died since and including the Great War. Many different races fought, and died for Great Britain. The perpetrators can be chaarged with public order offences bu the Police will require someone to complain to them.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

I have answered your question. I should be grateful if you would press the accept button and complete the feedback.

Andrew D.P. Scott :

Regards

Andrew D.P. Scott :

Andrew

Andrew D.P. Scott, Barrister
Experience: LLB(Hons) 1st Class, Gray's Inn Master Bedingfield Scholar, BVC Very Competent, Public Access Rights