Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello, my son; born in the UK and intends to continue living

Hello, my son; born in the UK and intends to continue living and working here is marrying a Taiwanese lady on 1st January 2011. What does he need to take with him to fulfill any legal requirements? Thank you. Elaine xxxxxxxx
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Where is he intending on marrying, here or in Taiwan?

How old are he and his fiancee?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jay will be marrying Mei Chen in Taipei on 1st January 2011 and here in England on 27th December 2011 by virtue of a civil ceremony.

We understand that he needs a statement from the police which records any criminal activity and a certificate of imepediment to marry from County Hall or a register office but we don't know if we have ommitted anything vital.

Thank you very much,

Elaine

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

How old are they both please?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

My son is 26 and I think Mei Chen is 25. They count their ages differently over there in Taiwan. Her biological age may be 25 but she may say that she is 28.

They met when she was studying in the UK and so has to reamin in Taiwan until she has fulfilled her duty to her home country.

Best wishes,

Elaine

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Elaine,

Sorry this is taking a while - is it intended that when your son's fiance travels to the UK it will be to permanently reside here.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Yes, during 2011 Mei Chen will be allowed to travel to this country again and will apply to live and work here. At present their plans are to make the UK thier permanent home.

Elaine

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Elaine.

The FCO in Taiwan has details of what your son requires in order to marry in Taiwan. Here is the link:-

http://ukintaiwan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-taiwan/how-register-marriage/

If you have any further questions you can give them a telephone call.

If you son marries in Taiwan then they will at that point be married. I assume that the civil ceremony planned here is a form of renewal of nuptials for family and friends here.

This being the case once they are married she will not be permitted to travel here and reside without first having applied for an received a spouses visa. They will have to show

• 1. That they are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. That they have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. Your son is present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 4. They intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 5. They can support each other without t he need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 6. They have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where they can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 7. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both of them. They will charge around £750-1000+vat for preparing it.

They can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

She will also have to pass an English language test to show that she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can contact the British Embassy in Taiwan for details for approved test providers.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor