Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi...I would like to know how to marry a same sex in london.

hi...I would like to know how to marry a same sex in london. He is a nigerian guy with 2 year visa and Im an Italian ,european citizen .Most important think is to know if we both can get an british passport after marriage here and how long it does it takes.It is also possible to have a direct contact or phone number for more future question?Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an answer
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

There are lots of place in London where you and your partner can marry (ie. civil partnership. Simply google "civil partnership venues London" and it will generate lots of result which you can then contact separately.

If your partner is here on a visa (other than a long term visitors visa) and you marry then he can apply for a Residence Card as the non-eea family member of an EEA national. He would have to apply using the UKBA's form EEA2 (available for download from their website) and he would receive an endorsement in his passport following the application confirming his right to residence here under European Law.

In order to be naturalised as UK citizens here you would first have to have resided here for 5 years and then apply for Permanent Residence. Once you have PR you would have to wait a further 12 months and then you can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen.

Private contact between experts and customers is prohibited I'm afraid.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello i want to know what are the thing to do or get before same sex can get married in london
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

In addition to the above you will have to apply for a certificate of approval from the UKBA. Here is the UKBA's page on applying for a certificate of approval so that you can see what is required:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while-in-uk/marriageandcivilpartnership/documents/#header2

Once he has the COA you will be free to arrange your civil partnership.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
am after the marriage how long does it take to get a residence permit or a work permit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
an after the marriage how long does it take to get a residence permit or a work permit
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

He would have to apply for a residence card as explained in the above post. The UKBA aims to reach a decision on all applications within 6-8 weeks, but this is not enforceable against them and they frequently overrun.

He should get his application in before his current visa expires.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do we need a lawyer to do all this or it is a thing we can do by ourself an do u know how much this will charge us in total
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

The application for a COA is fairly straightfoward - you can probably do that yourself after checking the forms and literature on the link I sent you.

The application for a residence card is more complicated. Some people instruct solicitors, some don't. They would charge around £750-1000 +VAT to prepare it for you. You could prepare it yourself and ask a solicitor just to check it for you. This would probably cost in the region of £300 +VAT.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my friend fall in this category(a) are an EEA (European Economic Area) national exercising rights of residence in the UK, do we still aporoval from the home office
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

You original question states that you are Italian (therefore EEA) and your partner is Nigerian (not EEA). If this is the case then he will have to apply for a COA and you will not.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi...

Im so sorry about all the question, but we both are from different country so we need to understand clear ...

so...if I got all clear... have some more question:

1- I ( italian) do not need any paper or document to married in UK?

2- my friend ( Nigerian) need to feed the UKBA's form EEA2 and also the COA form only ?

3- the COA form must be fill from me(italian) or from my friend (nigerian) seems that I dont need this ? ( im talking about the section 1 " applicant's details" on that form )

4-what are the differences and beneficial between choosing to "married" or "civil partnership"?

What I need to understand now, its all WE need to get married .. About a work permit we will going to think after married

Im so sorry again for all question, I thank you in advance for your help

kind regards

fabio

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Fabio.

1 - You will need to produce your passport when you are arranging who is to carry out the civil partnership

2 - He can only apply for a registration card using form EEA2 once you are married. To get married you both need to apply for COA

3 - you both need to complete form COA and apply for a certificate of approval

4. Getting "married" is only available for persons of opposite sexes. A "civil partnership" is in effect a "marriage" between homosexual persons.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about the line 3, I understand that we both need to complete the form COA,

but in our case, who is the "" applicant's "" (section 1) , and who have to fill the section 2 as a ""fiance or civil partner"" ?? or it does not matter how you fills ?

I hope I was clear in the request

thanks again

fabio

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

One COA form should be complete. Your Nigerian partner is the applicant, you are the civil partner.

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello i am the nigerian i want to know from what age can u be able to get married in the uk ? because i am 26year old but my passpaort the age was mistake to 18year old i tired to change it in nigeria but it was not possibe anymore can u pls tell me what to do now

micheal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello i am the nigerian i want to know from what age can u be able to get married in the uk ? because i am 26year old but my passpaort the age was mistake to 18year old i tired to change it in nigeria but it was not possibe anymore can u pls tell me what to do now micheal
Edit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi ..this is Fabio the italian.....I just would like to know if the limit of reply and question its over for us, seems that my partner send you a question 2 times but we do not get any answer...just to know if we can still rely on your help, I think it is legitimate for us to request at least one answer to this .......

kind regards

Fabio

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello u are not answering any of our question why