Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am about to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a spouse

Customer Question

I am about to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a spouse of a person present and settled in the UK.

On the application form SET(M) I am asked to provide details of any previous convictions including those relating to traffic offences.

I have a fixed penalty notice of about 4 years ago where I was given 3 points on my license and fined £60 for speeding. Do I need to disclose this on my application and if so how negative of an effect will it have on the application?

Many thanks

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi B,

Yes, you should disclose it. If you do not and they find out about it then they will view the answer as dishonest which could potentially effect the application more than the actual conviction.

They are permitted to consider the conviction when making an assessment of whether you are of "good character" and you are going to have to take your chances with whether they do consider it to be influential.

For what it's worth the conviction would become spent after five years following conviction and if you have not committed any further offences then this will help. It will not be viewed in isolation and will be considered in the context of your entire application.

Please note that form SET(M) is for applications made whilst you are in the UK.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome.