Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I repaid the mortgage on my house about two years ago, when

We repaid the mortgage on my house about two years ago, when we asked for the deeds they said they couldn't find them and we didnt need them anyway!.
We since did a land registary check and found we (the wife and I) in fact, We are the registered owners.
Do we need the title deeds to our house?

By the way, We used to be with woolwich building society which was taken over by Barclays, so I expect it got lost in the transition

Many thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The system of registering titles at the Land Registry replaced the old unregistered system of proving legal title to a property by producing deeds. In order to register your property the title deeds would have had to have been sent to the LR who would note the relevant entries and then "dematerialised" (ie. destroyed).

Your situation is perfectly normal and the official copies of the LR title are, in effect, your "deeds" and evidence of legal title.

Nothing to worry about.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. IT will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I prove that I/We paid for the house with no paperwork?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Depending on when the property was registered there may be an entry in the proprietorship register of the official copies stating the purchase price.

You do not need to show you paid money for the house to prove ownership though.

If the entry is not present on the OCs then you will have to consult your old paperwork to see if you have a copy of the contract for the transaction. If not you could contact your conveyancer who may still hold your file, if they do then the copy of the contract will be on file.

Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,