Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If I have been an illegal immigrant for 9 years how can

If I have been an illegal immigrant for 9 years how can I go about making myself legal or obtaining a permanant residence in the uk

Thanks for your question.

In order for someone to qualify for indefinite leave to remain after having been in the UK illegally one would have to have been in the UK for 14 years. Until you have attained that time limit you will not be successful in applying for ILR on the basis of your continued stay here.

In the circumstances the only other way in which you could conceivably secure your stay here would be by making a claim for asylum. You would have to prove that you had a well-founded fear of persecution if you were returned home, proving this by producing evidence during the course of your claim. The difficulty here is that you would have to explain why you did not claim asylum when you first came here, they length of your illegal stay here is very difficult to overcome.

You be able to apply for a visa if you found someone with a legal right to remain here (ie. UK passport or visa) to marry. Once married you would be able to apply for a spouses visa and then indefinite leave to remain after that.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,