How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I do so hope you may help with my question. My Son has

Resolved Question:

Hello, I do so hope you may help with my question. My Son has lived and worked in Thailand for some time now,and he is planning to return home to England soon with his partner, and they want to marry; can you forsee any problems returning to this country should they marry in Thailand , or should they wait and marry here in England?.
Many,Many Thanks,
Mrs Joyce Jefferson.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon Joyce,


They can do this in two way - applying for a fiance visa for her so that they can travel to get married here. Once married they would have to make a further application for a spouses visa. Two applications, two application fees.


The alternative is that they marry in Thailand and then apply for a spouses visa straightaway. Only one application is necessary here, but the drawback is that if it is unsuccessful then they will remain married and somewhat stuck.


The criteria for a fiance visa and spouses visa is very similar.

If you wish to apply for a fiance visa so that you can marry here you must show that:-


  • They plan to marry within 6 months of arriving here (egg. statements from them and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • They plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • They have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • They can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your the could do)
  • They have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by them or their household and where they and their dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of them are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports

If you consider that they will fulfill this criteria then you could apply for a spouses visa after they marry in Thailand, but I would strongly advise you seeing a immigration solicitor here in England to check the likely chance of success and to prepare the application for them to submit to the embassy in Thailand.


They will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website.


She will also have to pass an English language test demonstrating very basic spoken and listening English skills and should contact the embassy for approved test providers near where they are.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you