Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, can you please clarify something for me Im a 24 year

Hi, can you please clarify something for me:
I'm a 24 year old British citizen and am due to get married in India to a 19 year old girl (Indian citizen).
The question is: can she come to the UK before the age of 21?
We consulted a lawyer in India & he said as long as the girl is above 18 years of age and the marriage is in India she can come to the UK before the age of 21.

Many thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your questions, but I am afraid that it is not good news.

As part of the eligibility criteria to obtain a spouses visa both husband and wife must be 21 years of age in order to qualify. I attach a link to the relevant page to the Home Office's UK Border agency and if you scroll to the section entitled "How do qualify to join my fiance/fiancee/civil partner in the UK" you will see this requirement:-

They are very strict about this criteria as it is imposed as a safeguard against forced marriages. Refer your lawyer to the website. He is wrong.

I am very sorry that it could not be better news. Unfortunately you will have to wait until she is 21 years of age before submitting your application. INstruct a UK based solicitor to prepare your application for you, they know the law better and it should cost £750+vat approx. You can prepare it before she turns 21 and submit it immediately upon her attaining age, it will also give you time to ensure you meet the other requirements.

Kind regards,