Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

What requirements must I fulfill inorder to get my girlfriend

Customer Question

What requirements must I fulfill inorder to get my girlfriend and her son; who are from Taiwan; to the uK for minium of six months. She has been here for 40 days prior but not with her son.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Normally, a Taiwanese citizen traveling from Taiwan will not require a visa prior to traveling and will receive a visa upon port of entry (ie. at customs). This is discretionary however which means that the customs officials can refuse a visa if they wish. This will usually be on grounds of suspecting the person(s) are entering for the purpose of actually staying for longer than the 6 month period permitted under the visa or because of suspected criminal activity.

You can check this here:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

Visitors who do not wish to take that risk can apply for a 6 month visitor's visa to their nearest British Embassy prior to traveling. She would have to show that she intends to return home before the expiry of the 6 month period, that she does not intend to undertake paid or unpaid work whilst she is here and that she has enough money to support herself whilst she is here without the need to access public funds.

Such evidence would be her evidence of her job/accommodation in Taiwan that she intends to return (eg. statements from her others, documentary evidence of job/accommodation). Bank statements to evidence the money she has available. You could also write a letter of invitation stating that you are to provide her with a place to stay whilst she is here free of charge and will also assist in the case of emergency if extra funds are required.

I attach a link to the UK visas page for such a visa:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#21133690

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response.

Please can you tell me, can you foresee any problems with her bringing her son.

Best regards

Douglas

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Douglas,

How old is the son?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

3years and 6 months

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Douglas

That will not make a difference to her obtaining a visa but she should obviously make an application in respect of her son as well as herself.

Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your time Tom.

Kind Regards

Douglas

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Douglas,

You're welcome and thank you for your very kind accept.

Be sure that your girlfriend adequately expresses the fact that she does not intend to stay here beyond the 6 months and make sure that she does not in fact stay beyond this period - if she does then she may prejudice any future application she chooses to make.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Tom