How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi My wife and I own our house and the house was her mums she

Resolved Question:

Hi My wife and I own our house and the house was her mums she sold it to us below market value and I put little money in to it, how can we make an agreement that if we sell she has the bulk of the equiry? and can the agreemnet be back dated?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You should ask a local conveyancing solicitor to draft a declaration of trust. This is a deed which declares your respective interests in the property or if a person(s) should receive monies first before the equity is divided proportionally. You can specify both you respective % shares.


Once you have executed the declaration you can have it registered against the legal title to your property as a notice, which means that any conveyancer who would act in the sale would be aware of the arrangement and proceed appropriately.


You can find conveyancing solicitors in your area by using the following Law Society search engine:-


It should t around £100-150+Vat and a fee of £50.00 to have it registered at the Land Registry.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up question.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the qiuck answer, if I can probe a bit more and give you some more information..


I'm having some financial difficulties and was looking at a way of ring fencing the money, The fact about the way we got the house is correct and we always considered the lions share was hers but never did anything about documenting it

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Of course.


In the event you go bankrupt then a creditor could seek to have the declaration set aside transaction if they were taken with a view to, in effect, defrauding your creditors. So they could in theory apply for this.


You would be able to make representations to the effect that it was always an understanding that your wife "owned" more of the property and you just never got around to investigating formalising this, but you would have to face the question of why you did not declare your interests at the time when your conveyancer asked you. If he did not ask you then this would help your argument. If it comes to it you are just going to have to fight it out on this point.


In the end though a declaration of trust is the only way to stipulate your interests and you are just going to have to chance your luck with the financial difficulties.


Hope this clarifies.



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: