Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I rent a flat which is fully managed by the management company

I rent a flat which is fully managed by the management company (here letting agent Martin&Co). I need to speak with the landlord directly, not through the company. Marin&Co does not want to give me my landlord's contact details as they claim that all communication must by through them and not via the landlord. Is it right? Is there any law/regulation which requires them to give me such details on my request?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Yes, there is. Under s1 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 the landlord must provide their address within 21 days of a written request for the same.

If they do not comply then they are guilty of a criminal offence in summary form and liable for a level 4 fine (about £2,500.00). Refer them to the legislation.

If you wish to have an address immediately then you can pay to download a copy of the registered title to the property from the Land Registry. This will have an address for service for the landlord on it:-

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom