How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am seeking legal advice re marrying an egyptian man in egypt.

Resolved Question:

i am seeking legal advice re marrying an egyptian man in egypt. can you recommend a specialist in this area?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Can you clarify the of advice you seek - do you wish to know what you have to do once you are married in order to bring him here to permanently reside here with you?


If not please specify.


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

initially i am seeking advice regarding how my individual rights and freedoms are affected by marrying an egyptian man in egypt. For example will i still have freedom to travel without my husbands permission? How can i protect my assets accrued before marriage? That kind of thing. If my rights are affected is there a legal way for me to protect these before marrying?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Can you confirm what nationality you are please? Are you based in the UK, if you are but are not a British citizen please state your immigration status.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am a british citizen. Born in UK. I am not an immigrant.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


Under UK law your husband would not be able to restrict your right to travel, your rights in this respect are unaltered by your marriage. You would have to check with an Egyptian solicitor as to how their law applies, this is a UK law website and there is no Egyptian Law section.


Once you have been married for a considerable length of time and then divorce there is an assumption that the matrimonial assets of the marriage (all of yours and all of his) are to be divided in equal 50:50 shares. This presumption can be rebutted so that one party receives a greater proportion if, usually, they are to look after the children of the marriage or (to a lesser extent) if they require more income/capital for health reasons or of their earning powers are significantly less than the other spouse.


In order to protect oneself you can each take advice and execute a pre-nuptual agreement which anticipates divorce and states what is to happen to the matrimonial assets in the event that you divorce. Although the Courts have recently attached more weight to these agreements there a not completely water-tight in terms of enforceability and a Court will consider it one of the factors to considering in determining what is a fair financial settlement. There are worth doing though and to ensure a greater level of enforceability you should both take independent legal advice before executing it.


If you are intending on living her post marriage then he will have to obtain a spouses visa for your husband.

You will have to show:-

  • That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4a Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both of you before submitting it to the Embassy in Egypt.


If you make the application after the end of November then he will also have to pass an English language test to show that he has a basic command of spoken and listening English.


Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: