How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we live in a rented property for the term of 1 year to end

Resolved Question:

we live in a rented property for the term of 1 year to end in july 11 but the earliest commencement of termination is 31st december 10 but we have a wheelchair bound son who is profoundly disabled and access to the house is a major problem. occupational therapists will not do any adaptions to the property as they class it as a nightmare and they adviced us to move and we have been given a letter to clarrify this. We think we may have a problem getting out of our tenancy early as the agency who the landlords are using are not being helpful in this matter. could you tell me if there is any legal way out of the tenancy
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



The basic positions is that unless the landlord agreed to make adjustments suitable for your son to the property as a term (orally or in writing) then you will be bound by the length of the tenancy agreement. He is under an obligation to provide accommodation fit for human habitation, rather than habitation for a particular human (ie. your son) unless this was expressly agreed.


You can terminate under the break clause obviously, but the only other way you could terminate would be is the property is unfit for human habitation - this would be a repudiatory breach by the landlord which denies you all, or substantially all, of the benefit of the contract. In these circumstances one would usual invite he enviro dept. of the local authority to make an inspection in he hope they would declare it unfit thus entitling early termination.


The landlord is under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a replacement tenant that you can produce to him and if you think this is a possibility before the break clause then you can use to attempt to find one. Private landlords use the service all the time.


If you are occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy and the rent is less than £25k then any deposit you passed to the landlord would have had to have been placed in a tenancy deposit scheme. If you have not received details of this then you should ask for them from your landlord. If it has not been so placed then you have right to apply to Court for the return of the whole deposit and a fine of three times the deposit amount payable by the landlord to you. You could use this as leverage to get him to agree to vacation prior to the break clause.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Edited by Thomas on 9/9/2010 at 11:37 AM EST
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: