Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas

what can happen if you give a false reference for a job

Customer Question

what can happen if you give a false reference for a job?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 6 years ago.

The employer can terminate the contract of employment if they find out because the employee will have broken an implied term in the contract of "trust and confidence".

I hope this helps kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes,but what happening if they find out about the reference that I gave?I need to specify that I didn't sign any paper,any writing document.all they have is my mobile number

If the reference did not lead to a job you are in then nothing will happen even assuming they had your details.

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
let say the reference is in the same field that I am working in
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the reference I gave for my friend was a verbal one with no written documents or my personal details only my mobile number, this was false information as she hadn't worked for me and I said she had and this lead to her getting a job, what could happen to me if this came to light.

Any consequences for you are extremely unlikely. The employer would have to show that you owed them a legal duty of care and it is very unlikely they can prove anything. There are all sorts of degrees of working for someone. She could have worked on something for you at home or a one off project sufficient for you to say you have employed her and no one can really argue with or dispute that.

Yours sincerely