How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and my husband is a UK citizen. We are wanting

Resolved Question:

I am a US citizen and my husband is a UK citizen. We are wanting to live in the UK. I am currently here for one week but will return to the US once I know what I can do about living/working in the UK. What is my best course of action? I would be bringing my children with me as well. Also, is there anything I can do to be able to work in the meantime? Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Can you please just elaborate on what you mean by being "able to work in the meantime"?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a US attorney and was interested in working as soon as possible. I wasn't sure if getting the spouse visa would enable me to work faster than another type of visa?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.


There is not a huge amount of difference in the times taken to process the application particularly, I would advise applying for a spouses visa. This is more permanent in nature and if you ceased the job upon which you obtained a worker's visa then this would be curtailed and you would have to apply for a spouses visa in any event.


For a spouse visa, you will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3 Your husband is present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 4. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, correspondence)
  • 5. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 6. You have suitable accomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 7. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your husband before submitting it to ensure that has the best possible chance of approval.


You would also have to apply for visas for your children as your dependents unless they hold dual passports.


You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

You/your husband can consult with a solcitior here on the application before it is submitted.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you