Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I cannot keep chickens on my land because of a 1937 covenent

I cannot keep chickens on my land because of a 1937 covenent .Can I get this removed?

Has anyone sought to prevent you keeping chickens on your land on the basis of this covenant, or do you think there are persons who would seek to were you to bring chickens on to the land?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
our next door neighbours warned us about the covenent when we first suggested keeping up to 6 rescue hens.As we felt that keeping hens was a sensible and popular thing to do today, we would like to have the covenent removed if possible

Firstly, you should ask explicitly whether they would object to you keeping chickens.

If they object then you would have to apply to the Lands Tribunal to have the covenants removed. THe neighbour would be at liberty to object and make representations to that effect. You would have to make the application by submitting Form LPA to the LT and I attach a link to the LT web page:-

I would also suggest reading the guidance available and the applicable flowchart-

You could have a costs order made against you at the end of the process.

If you instruct a solicitor to prepare and act for you in the matter the you chances of success would obviously increase but it would be expensive and with no guarantee of success. The process is also pretty complicated and fairly lengthy, but it is the only available method of having a covenant removed.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards