Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

married couple from ukraine, worked SBS. visas expired about

married couple from ukraine, worked SBS. visas expired about 3 years ago. child was born 2 years ago. what do we need to do to get permission to stay in uk legally?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Can you describe the exact nature and terms of your previous visa please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi. we both had 1 year visa for low skill workers, sector based scheme. both visas expired in 2007. in 2008 one and only child was born here and have birth sertificat. what u can sugest to stay legally?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I am afraid that the unescable fact is that you have overstayed here without a legal right to remain for a considerably period of time. Any application you make now will be rejected because of this. Overstays are only allowed on appeal in the most exceptional and it is very difficult to see how an overstay of that length can be explained.

You will have to return to your home country and possibly make an application from there but certainly the overstay would count very heavily against you unfortunately.

A person who has been in the UK for illegally for 14 years may apply for indefinate leave to remain but there is strong speculation that this rule may be abolished and it is not something I could ever advise you to do because it would be abolished and then you would find yourself in the same position as you are now.

I am very sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about republic of ireland? is it any hope up there?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

This is a UK forum so you won't find any ROI lawyers on this site. Obviously, I cannot speak with any authority on their immigration laws but I understand that you would have to enter as a worker and for this would require a work permit and a green card.

I attach a link to the ROI's governmental immigration section so that you can check yourself:-

Thank you for your kind accept.