How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to marry a Syrian who lives in Crete and want him to

This answer was rated:

i want to marry a Syrian who lives in Crete and want him to live with me in england. How do we apply for a Visa or once we are married will they allow him into england as my husband.



Do you intend to marry here or in Crete and then apply thereafter?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have discussed getting married in Crete first, as we were not sure if he could get a visa to come to england first, but obviously we did not want to go ahead and get married and then have to be apart waiting for a visa. We have no preference in where we get married i just want him to live in england with me and he wants that too.

Right, and do you have a settled status in the UK? (eg. British passport or visa etc)?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes i am a British Citizen born in England with a British Passport. I own my own home and I am in full time employment. I have a 15 year old daughter who attends school and wishes to go to college after school. This is one of the reasons he wishes to live here with me due to my commitments for the next few years to my daughter.




The disadvatange of marrying in Crete would be that if you ran in to difficulties obtaining a spouses visa afterwards then you would be a bit stuck.


The disadvantage with applying for a fiancéé visa is that you have to make two applications; one to come here and marry and a second to extend the visa once you are married. I assume this to be the better option for you on your previous statements.


If you wish to apply for a fiance visa so that you can marry here you must show that:-


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (eg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)


You can can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


They will be able to prepare the application in the best fashion for you (it should cost around £700-850+Vat)


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. fiance visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your fiancé before submitting it to the nearest British Embassy.


He will also have to pass the english language test to show that he has a basic command of english listening and spoken language. Everyday expressions and basic phrases and he will have to contact the Embassy before submitting to find out about approved test providers in Crete.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If i need to ask more questions regarding this matter on another day do I have to pay £33 each time or does this payment for information have an agreed period before having to pay another fee.



If you reply to this thread and it is still active (I'm not a moderator of the site, but I understand it closes after a period of time.) then I would be happy to answer for free provided you click accept so my answer..


If you cannot reply to this thread then you can post another question to the board, but set it at a lower level if you wish.


Hope this clarifies.


Kind regards.



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions