How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

iam trying to obtain a visa for my fiance to vist me in the

This answer was rated:

iam trying to obtain a visa for my fiance to vist me in the uk she is ghanaian and lives in ghana i have supplied a letter of introduction prof of income copys of my accounts copy of passport to show how many times i vist ghana prof of money transfers to show i suppot her fully copy of intent to marry my full address in uk and a letter to say that i will support her fully when in the uk we are due to marry in late sept and have tried 3 times to get a visa iam at a loss what to supplie next can you help



Can you confirm that your wife applied by submitting for VAF4A to the UKBA for a fiance visa?


What are the specific reasons listed for the refusal and did you receive leave to appeal?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she is my fiance not my wife we do not get married untill late sept2010 we filled in applications vaf1a vaf1b and vaf1f

...and what were the specific reasons for refusal?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thay dont belive she is genuinely seeking entry as a visitor for a limited period and refusal on 56d(i)41(i) &(ii) i have told them we intend to live and make ghana our home but i still have work in the uk and ghana and would like my fiance to be able to travel back and forth with me



Firstly, I'm afraid you are certainly not going to obtain a marriage visa for your fiance before the end of September so, regrettably, your plans to marry here in September are not feasible.


You have got to focus on persuading the UKBA that she does intend to return to Ghana once you are married. If you have leave to appeal then do so. If not then you will have to make a further application. The evidence you can produce to show that she intends to return would be things like evidence of continuing employment (eg. employment contract, statements from her employers), continuing studies if applicable, evidence of continuing accommodation that she is to return to, statements from you both to the effect of return, evidence of your plans/practical arrangements for residing in Ghana once you are married.


If you cannot persuade the UKBA then the easiest thing to do is for you to return to Ghana to marry there and then apply as appropriate for her visits here with you when you are working.

Two of the applications forms that were submitted were not appropriate for the application and they were probably refused on that basis.


Sorry it could not be better news, but until you are able to persuade the UKBA that she will return to Ghana then the situation will remain as it is now.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we intend to get married in ghana when we are married what visa vaf form should we fill in and appart from the marridge what other doc should i show them please awswer this and i will accept your answer

Once you are married would you both intend to permanently reside here or not?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i do wish to reside here but keep our appartment in ghana to

Yes, but does your wife also intend to reside here as well?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes both of us


You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. That you are present and settled in the UK (property records - tenancy agreements, Land registry office copies, other records of your life here, council tax bills etc.
  • 3. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements about your relationship from you both and any others, correspondence)
  • 6. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • 7. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 8. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to the Embassy in Ghana.


She will also need to pass and English language test, basic spoken and listening English - everyday phrases etc. She can contact the embassy in Ghana for a list of test providers there.


You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


I hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you