Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

How do I go about finding a copy of a will for someone who

How do I go about finding a copy of a will for someone who died in 2008. Not knowing the solicitor it was made with?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If a grant of probate was taken out in order to administer the deceased's estate then a copy of the Will shall be attached to that and you can can pay a small fee (around £10.00) to receive a copy of the grant and will.

If you suspect the grant of probate was taken out in Scotland you should contact:-

H M Commissary Office,XXXXX Edinburgh EH1 1LB
Tel 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

If you suspect the grant of probate was taken out in England then you should consult the following site in order to find out how to search and obtain:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

If a grant of probate was not taken out then you are left with the more informal methods of contacting the executors/beneficiaries of the estate via whatever means you can.

If the person owned property or had assets in excess of £5-10,000.00 then a grant of probate would have to have been obtained by the executors.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom