QC
QC, Solicitor
Experience:  8 yrs pqe, TEP, CPD Trainer in Inheritance Tax Planning
11081860

The will was written in 2004 and it stated that 100k is to

The will was written in 2004 and it stated that £100k is to be left to his partner and then my name. The deceased died in 2008 and I were no longer in a relationship with him at that time, although we were good friends.

Does this affect the matter?

Dear Josie

Absolutely not. If the will was not changed then you are entitled to the money, irrespective of the relationship changing. The only exception to this is if you were married and then divorced in which case you would not be entitled to anything, or if the deceased married after he wrote the 2004 will.

Sincerely

QC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I decide to instruct a solicitor to obtain the £100k, would this be a straight forward process or could this be a court matter?

Dear Josie

If you are asking "am I definitely entitled to the money?" then the answer is yes. As regards XXXXX XXXXX it all depends how awkward the executor becomes. It may be that a firm is prepared to take on your case on a no win no fee basis. Without knowing the full reasons for the executors delay it is difficult to say with certainty that everything will be straightforward, but I would much rather be in your position than the executors.

Sincerely

QC