Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

last will & testament - i have just been named as a executor

last will & testament - i have just been named as a executor and have written to the various beneficiaries advising them of their legacies, however i have been asked by some of them the names and details of legacies for the other beneficiaries in the will. am i olbliged to tell them as some beneficiaries would rather i kept the details of their gifts confidential which i'd like to respect unless i'm bound to do otherwise? is beneficiarie number 1 entitled to know what beneficiarie number 2 etc?

Thanks for your question.

As executor of the estate it's your choice as to whether the information is revealed or not. If some beneficiaries are minded to remain confidential for the moment then I can see no value in revealing the details to the other at this stage.

In the end though, the Will shall become a public document once the grant of probate has been obtained, which anyone can order so you might advise those beneficiaries concerned with this to see if they alter their position. They will in the end be able to find out anyway but if some beneficiaries value their interim anonymity in any event then it seems fair to take this in to account.

You're just going to have to be diplomatic about it, make them aware of your somewhat awkward position and hope the modify their respective approaches accordingly.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by Thomas on 8/19/2010 at 5:19 PM EST