How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My uncle passed away suddenly a few months back. Unfortunately

Customer Question

My uncle passed away suddenly a few months back. Unfortunately he never made a Will. He was married for 2 years and seperated for the last 10, no children involved but never legally divorced. When they seperated they agreed a settlement in writing which we have now been told does not count as a Will was never made and in the eyes of the law she is still his legal next of kin. His success came after their seperation and we as his family do not feel she morally has any entitlement to his estate. We have also been informed that we do not have any grounds to contest her entitlement. She has a common law partner of 5 years. Do we have any rights in this situation as we are a very close family and it would destroy my uncles siblings to see her swallow up his success and legacy?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


The basic position is that if he did not make a Will then his estate would pass according to the intestacy rules which would mean that his wife would inherit his estate.


An inheritance can be contested under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependent) Act 1976. The application must be made within 6 months of the date of the grant of probate in the estate and you will need a solicitor to do it for you.


The difficulty is that if you/other family members were not dependent on your uncle to maintain you/them and that you need a provision to be made then it is not advisable to attempt to make a claim under the Act


The Court would consider what is a "reasonable financial provision" for the dependent claiming and would ll take a number of factors in to account in determining what is fair (eg. size of the estate, other claims, resources and needs of other family members/dependants, responsibilities the deceased had to you), each case turns on it's own facts and there are no hard and fast rules to work out what a person would be entitled to.


On the facts, if there are no genuine members of the family who were depednent on your uncle then an attempt to make a claim under the act would not be advisable. Given that the situation is manifestly unfair I would suggest phoning a local contentious probate solicitor and asking for a fixed fee appointmentand getting some specificy advice from them on the merits of any possible claim after coming to a view on whether any of you were depednent on him to any extent. That said, I would steel yourself for a negative response.


I am very sorry that it could not be better news, it's an appalling situation by the sounds of it.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you- I half expected that response but it was good to get a second opinion. It is an unfortunate situation and I appreciate your sympathetic approach.


Many Thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi Donna,


Thank you for your very kind accept. As I say, I would still take specific advice, preferably on a free half hour appointment or otherwise for a fixed fee.


Good luck.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you I'll look in to that.


Kind Regards


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: