Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

When do you stop paying child maintenance. My 2 children are

When do you stop paying child maintenance. My 2 children are 19 and 18, the eldest left college last year and started university Sept 2009 - she was 19 in March 2010. The 18 year old is due to start university Sept 2010 and will be 19 in March 2011. When does maintenance stop.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
hi
do you pay via the csa or a court order
claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was paying through the CSA up until May 2010 then agreed to pay my ex direct weekly, as she needed the weekly payments...She says I have to pay for the eldest child until 13 September 2010 and the 18year old child until Sept 2011...
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
hi
you can stop paying for the eldest child immediately - although that child could make an application for maintenance in his own right
equally you can stop making payments for the youngest in september this year
claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even though the youngest child who is 18 is now going to university in Sept 2010, I have been told by my ex that I have to continue to pay for her whilst she is at university until she reaches the age of 18...The csa are not very helpful, and state that if the youngest is in full time non advanced education I stillhave to pay til she is 19 ... who is right ???
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
hi
university is advanced education - so you stop in september this year
claire