Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If I prefer not to accept a bequest that has been left to me,

If I prefer not to accept a bequest that has been left to me, what happens to that money - does it go back into the 'pot' to be shared by those who will receive the residue of the estate after all bequests have been met?

If you decline bequest then the subject matter would fall back in to the residuary estate for distribution to the residuary beneficiaries. That is unless there are any directions as to declined bequests, if there is a direction as to what should happen to bequests or this bequest specifically then it will pass according the direction.

You would have to check the Will to be absolutely certain.

If this is useful please click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Just one more question - will i have to give my reason for not wanting to accept the bequest?

Many thanks, Marguerite

H Marguerite,

No - you need not give a reason to decline the bequest, it's entirely up to you whether you do or not.

Thank you for your kind accept.

Tom