Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a thirty one year old South African Female. My fiance

I am a thirty one year old South African Female. My fiance is British National. I am three months pregnant. We are planning to get married before the baby is born, in the UK. What do we need to do, in order to have our marriage and the birth of our child registered in the UK?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Where are you currently? If you are in the UK please also state your immigration status?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am in South Africa and my fiance is in the UK

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Right.

Do you wish to reside in the UK permanently once your ch lid is born?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Tom, we intend settling there and will I be able to get a job once the child is born? Will the child be automatically a British Citizen and can she have dual citizenship?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

If you are planning on getting married in the UK then you will need to apply to the British Embassy in SA for a fiance visa.

This will give you permission to come to the UK to marry. You must show that:-

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that you could do (if you are to work)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

It would be best for a UK immigration solicitor to prepare your applicant for you. It can be prepared in the UK and sent to you to submit. You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. fiance visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website.

You will also have to pass the english language test to show that she has a basic command of english listening and spoken language. Everyday expressions and basic phrases and she will have to contact the Embassy before submitting to find out about approved test providers in SA.

Even if your daughter is born in SA she will be eligible to for a UK passport because citizenship can descend from the father to one generation below.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question, how long does it take for me to get a Fiance Visa
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

The UKBA/HO aims to try and reach decisions on applications no later than two months after submission, but this is very much a moveable feast and it depends on how much they have on their plate at the time and how easy to reach a decision it is in each particular application.

Good luck with your marriage/pregnancy and application. Busy time!

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor