Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi I recently went to look a car by a national garage at an

Hi I recently went to look a car by a national garage at an advertised price that I had found through a car magazine on the net, After returning from the test drive i have now been told by the seller that the advertised price is for cash only and the vehicle will be an extra £500. on the advertised price as i am trading in my car, Is this legal for a large dealership to advertise in this way?

Yes, they can do that. They would be restricted from doing so if the advertisement was held to be an offer but they aren't in these circumstances because the contract is not a unilateral one and further bargaining tends to take place once the customer contacts the dealer after seeing the advertisment.

Not legal advice but if you wish to squeeze more value out of the dealership then I would go there at the months end - they get panicky about their targets and you can eke out a better deal for yourself. Especially is you are a cash buyer, but also if you are not.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom